This week inspiration struck and so I got out my supplies :
- A cute square (you could use any shape but I really liked the square) plate purchased from TJ Maxx (love that store) for only $2.99.
- Blue painters tape (love that stuff)
- A piece of newspaper or some other sort of paper
- A can of chalkboard paint (bought mine at Wal-mart for about $3.00)
- I used the blue painters tape and a piece of newspaper to cover all but a square in the center of the plate. You definitely want to take your time so that your lines are straight.
- I then took the plate outside and laid it on a sheet of newspaper and carefully and slowly sprayed the square back and forth.
- I left it to dry for awhile (an hour?) and came back and sprayed it again and again and again. I think I did 4 layers of paint- but the can says 2 is sufficient.
- When it was dry I peeled off the tape and newspaper.
- There were a few places where paint had gotten on the plate (where I didn't want them to be) and so I used an Exacto knife (a regular small knife would work) to carefully scrape off the excess paint.
- I wrote a message on it, plopped it in a little plate stand I got at Hobby Lobby for $2 and voila- it was done!
This was really a super simple project that anyone can do. I can see it being used for so many things- on the dinner table with a message, in a bedroom on a nightstand, on the coffee table with a scripture..........the uses are endless!